January 19, 2011

Where is the "Good" in "Goodbye" ?!

GoodByes have become a part of todays life. And we use it too often now ..as we keep moving...moving on from one job to another...from one place to another...one country to another...and so on !!
But right from the time I was a child , I hated saying "GoodByes". They were always "Bad Byes" for me especially when I had to say Bye to friends and family whom I loved the most. .... (Now guys, Don't start laughing....!!)
I remember one of my friends going mad when I said I was scared to say "Bye" . But now, even when I have to say this often, I really get this funny habit of eluding this and instead rather saying "See You". But I suppose this has nothing to do with the word itself ..But I suppose it is linked to this pessimistic thought that keeps reminding you . that it might be forever !!!.
But  those true "Good byes" make you reflect on lots of other stuff....
They really do make you look back on what you've had, what you've lost and what you've been taking for granted. And they also tell you ...that if we ever feel sad to say good bye to someone , we need to be thankful that we have come across someone who was so good that it was hard to say good bye to them .
But I stick to my belief that "GoodByes " remind us that some people aren't meant to be in our lives forever. But that they are passing through our lives to bring us something... a gift, a blessing, a lesson we need to learn ....  You'll have that gift forever.... though you have to say bye to the one who brought the gift !!



2 comments:

raghav said...

Just like you said, good byes should have been named bad byes.But the reason why it was named so was, I suppose ,because you say BYE for GOOD.Thats forever.We normally say bye, but not goodbye except when we leave someone ?

Glen said...

Of course i agree wholeheartedly to this. There is no good in goodbyes.It is always an unpleasant occupation where you cry and hug and say bye...be it school or college. Later when we become older, we may know to control our emotions so as not to create a scene but still our hearts cry at that moment , sadder still when we lose our dear ones and have to say good bye forever !!